avandia

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hair Dye

 I am positive if my heart is able to make it until my children turn 18, I will at least own stock in items like band-aids, gauze, ibuprophin, antiseptic salves, and hair dye. Most of the items will be for my children (ahem, Jackson) but the hair dye will be for my early maturation of gray hair. I am certain that if my children (ahem, Jackson) continue on the bump and bruise filled path he calls life, I will be lucky if I even have hair left to dye by the time he is 18 J


My poor little lamb broke out last Thursday night with a red rash that I thought was the chicken pox. Although he has been vaccinated against these little red bumps, I knew it was still very possible to get them.
After calling into the Doctors office and talking with a nurse, she convinced me that what I was describing really didn’t sound like chicken pox at all, but rather some type of allergic reaction and recommended that I bring Jackson in ASAP. Well, a long story short, and after bringing Jackson in the ‘back way’ through the dr.’s office so as not to scare any of the sweet and pure mothers in the waiting room, Jackson’s diagnosis was vague. The doctor really was not sure if he had a virus or an allergy to something, but he sent us home with a hopeful “Benadryl every four hours should take care of this” diagnosis.
Once we were home, Jackson continued be incredibly miserable, as would anyone with that amount of itchy hives on their body, and soon was unable to even walk. His joints were swelling and his feet were like little red puffs. He would hardly drink and refused any type of food. I had to trap his head to one side while trying to hold his hands away with my ever-growing belly and then quickly squirt in his mouth the syringe full of Benadryl. He was not impressed.
After a very long night, with Jack unable to get comfortable, he woke the next morning still full of the bumps. We let them go through the morning and decided that if they weren’t better after naptime, we would take him into children’s hospital (it was the weekend and nothing else was open). Praise the Lord. Upon waking Jackson up after four hrs of sleep, he looked like a new boy. I could tell the bumps were dissipating, and he could finally gingerly walk. He had some smiles for me and drank a ton of water, plus ate some food. I knew we were on the home stretch of this red-skinned adventure.
Jackson is back to his white little self these days, and I am quite thankful. I was definitely a basket of nerves during the whole process, just not knowing if and when to take him to get medical help. I had no idea where this allergy was coming from, and if I was continuing to introduce it to him. Scary stuff.
On Sunday evening, while we were getting ready for our first family meal of the weekend, Jackson slipped and fell on the wood floor. We forgot to put his slippers on after he had been in his socks (which is a really bad combination….socks+wood floor+a one year old the size of a two and a half year old with three year old feet = huge uncoordinated disaster). Upon impact of his little face-plant, Jackson’s lower lip was sliced by his upper tooth. I have never seen so much blood come from a lip. Poor little boy.  

These are after the rash started to clear, and before the sock/wood floor incident. Isn't he just cute with his little slippers and toothbrush?  

2 comments:

joelle said...

Oh Melissa!!! The poor little guy and poor you! I'm glad he's in recovery...I hope things stay that way!!

The Stainbrooks said...

poor little man!!!!! so glad he's feeling better!!!!